Everton are reportedly closing in on a loan deal for Bayern Munich forward Joshua Zirkzee.
The 19-year-old was set to join Eintracht Frankfurt earlier this month, but the move fell through following his red card for Bayern’s reserves, which resulted in a three-match ban. And the ban would have been upheld even if Zirkzee did transfer to Frankfurt.
Now, according to talkSPORT, Everton are close to sealing a loan deal for the forward as Carlo Ancelotti looks to bolster his attacking options.
BREAKING: Everton close to loan deal for Bayern Munich’s Josh Zirkzee.
The 19-year-old Dutch striker joins with a view to a permanent deal.
– talkSPORT understand
— talkSPORT (@talkSPORT) January 15, 2021
Everton Director of Football Marcel Brands said yesterday that the club would not bring in any new faces this month, but Ancelotti is keen on adding a backup for Dominic Calvert Lewin and Richarlison.
Brands knows Zirkzee from his time at Ado Den Haag and Feyenoord. The Netherlands U21 international played against Tottenham in the Champions League last year, and has scored four goals for the first team.
Sky’s transfer expert Max Bielefeld claimed last week that Zirkzee wants to push for a loan move to Frankfurt during the current transfer window.
However, Flick has claimed that the youngster is a part of his plans, at least for the ‘next six months’.
The Bayern boss said: “I am not aware of anything. I have not heard from either side, that is, Javi Martínez and Joshua Zirkzee. I assume that they will be in the squad for the next six months.
“I am currently not aware of any player wanting to leave the club. But things can happen quickly in football, of course. Joshua Zirkzee is of enormous quality and can develop well. He was four or five weeks out of training.
“He will train with the professionals, but should show his strengths with the U23. He’s supposed to help her win the games when he’s there.”