David Alaba has dismissed claims that transfer links to Real Madrid are affecting his form for Bayern Munich of late.
The Austrian is out of contract at the end of the season and has been part of a defence that has been conceding goals regularly this campaign.
Alaba was heavily criticised for his performance in Friday’s 3-2 defeat to Borussia Monchengladbach as speculation over his future continues.
The 28-year-old has been linked with a move to Real Madrid, but insisted that his dip in form is not due to his situation at Bayern.
“No, absolutely not,” Alaba told Bild. “Personally, I don’t think things are going so badly for me this season and I haven’t changed my style of play compared to last year.
“I’ve said it many times: For me, the only thing that counts is another successful season with Bayern. We are still leading the table and I am sure that we will win the next games and, in the end, we will be top.”
Defensive frailties causing problems for Bayern
Alaba has been an integral squad member for the Bavarian giants for years. But recent months have seen a drop in his form.
However, he cannot be the only one singled out for the defensive woes. Bayern have not been solid defensively as a whole.
Hansi Flick’s side have now conceded 24 goals in their 15 Bundesliga games this season – the worst record among the top six teams on the league table.
The loss to Gladbach also saw Manuel Neuer set a rather embarrassing record. For the first time in his career, the 34-year-old has gone 10 games in the Bundesliga without keeping a clean sheet.
Flick has stated that he won’t ask for reinforcements during the ongoing January transfer window, but that might change if Bayern’s defensive issues continue.